Monday, August 16, 2010

It's that time again... vote for me!

It's another upcoming municipal election.  This is the time when you are asked to put an "x" on a ballot for positions you have no idea about the job involved....  School Board Trustee or Library shelf duster...

We all get the importance of choosing the right Mayor and the right Council members, but we don't seem to get out butts out of the chair to go and vote for these folks.  Voter turn out for municipal elections is abysmal.

Maybe it's because we think no matter who gets in, our taxes will go up and our services decrease.  That has been the trend.  I'm not going to go on and on about taxes and services today... that's a novel, not a blog!

Municipal elections are as true to a democracy as you can get... you vote for the person and if they get more than the next guy.. they win.  You don't vote for or against a party who's leader may or may not be a complete twit. 

People have already been knocking at my door and there is one disturbing trend coming out of all the campaign literature... "I can do this"  "I can do that"  "I will make sure..."

Since when did a democratic election become about "I"?

As an "over-taxed nearly out of the middle class because of it" resident,
I would like to see a bit more revolt! 

If you got enough votes to win a seat on my local council and part of your campaign platform was to hold or lower my taxes.. and they may go up... you better be back at my door rallying the support of the people!  I don't want to read about the increase when it's too late.

The people of Ontario raised their collective voice and had the Eco-tax taken away.. at least for now.. I'm sure you can get the people in your ward to raise bloody hell in chambers, on-line and via e-mail!

If you... Mr or Mrs Candidate.. empower the people, maybe you'd get a few more out to vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment